New Jersey is getting $1.46 billion from the federal government in a second round of Superstorm Sandy relief funding.
Housing Secretary Shaun Donovan said Monday the aid is flexible so the state can fill gaps that remain in the recovery.
“It is critical that we get this right,” he said.
Donovan was in the hard-hit river town of Little Ferry to make the announcement. He said some of the money will be used for infrastructure repairs but it is up to New Jersey to determine how it will be spent. The latest award brings to nearly $3.3 billion the amount of Sandy relief allocated New Jersey through the Department of Housing and Urban Development.
The state Tuesday marks the anniversary of the storm that a year ago damaged or destroyed about 340,000 homes and businesses in the state. Complaints have been growing that officials have been slow to disburse money from the first round of funding.
Donovan said that while some requirements feel like red tape, they are necessary to assure the money is distributed fairly.
In an interview with The Associated Press last week, Gov. Chris Christie blamed delays on Congress, which took three months to approve a $50.7 billion relief package for the region, and requirements put in place to prevent the type of fraud that occurred after Hurricane Katrina.