Carbon Monoxide a Deadly Danger Over 3-Day Yom Tov

During the upcoming three-day Yom Tovs, when stoves cannot be turned off from Wednesday night until after Shabbos, carbon monoxide poisoning is a real danger.

The Orthodox Union’s Safe Homes, Shuls, and Schools program advises that if you leave a stovetop burner lit, leave a nearby window open at least 4 inches, with a second window open at the opposite end of the house. This will allow cross-ventilation and a supply of fresh air.

In addition, everyone needs a working carbon monoxide detector.