Sanitation Deadline Extended

BROOKLYN, NY -

The Department of Sanitation has announced that it will extend until Feb. 18, 2013, its deadline for increased sanitation pickups in neighborhoods hit hard by Superstorm Sandy.

Its announcement comes in response to a request sent to the agency by Council Member Domenic M. Recchia, Jr. last week on behalf of New Yorkers who anticipate a prolonged clean-up and rebuilding phase as a result of delayed financial assistance from insurance companies, FEMA, and the SBA.

“Many people continue to grapple not only with damage to their homes, but also to their personal property, motor vehicles, and businesses, and thousands of families still remain displaced from their homes,” said Recchia.

“These challenges, coupled with delayed payments from insurance companies, FEMA, and other governmental agencies, and the onset of mold in many homes, have heightened the financial hardship facing New Yorkers and prolonged the cleanup period. As a result, the need for additional sanitation pickups is going to continue for months as the funds necessary to gut, clean, and rebuild properties are made available.”

Recchia expressed gratitude to the Department of Sanitation for responding to the needs of thousands of New Yorkers, who continue to struggle to clean and rebuild their homes and neighborhoods.

Since the storm, the Department of Sanitation and its workers have been assisting New Yorkers. “The decision to extend the deadline further reflects their commitment to easing the recovery process for those who need it most,” said the Councilmember.

“In the coming weeks and months, I look forward to continuing to working with the Department of Sanitation and all city agencies to ensure that Brooklynites are provided with the critical assistance they need to get back on their feet,” added Recchia.

The original deadline for extended sanitation service was Dec. 31, 2012. This was later changed to Jan. 14, 2013.