Indictment Imminent of Teen Suspected of Bomb Threats

bomb threat, teen, israel, U.S., indictment
The teen being brought into court in Rishon Lezion, Israel, last month. (AP Photo/Nir Keidar)

YERUSHALAYIM - The 18-year-old Israeli-American suspected in a rash of bomb threats against Jewish targets in the U.S. is expected to face indictment in coming days, according to media reports on Thursday.

Police requested an extension of the remand of the accused teenager in Rishon Lezion Magistrate’s court, ahead of the filing of an indictment.

The suspect, whose name has not yet been released, will likely face charges on a list of offenses, including extortion by threats, publishing false information that causes public fear and panic, conspiring to commit a crime, computer offenses and money laundering.

His parents claim that their son’s alleged criminal behavior stems from severe autism and a brain tumor.

If indicted, the defense will presumably focus on his inability to appreciate the crimes he is accused of, and therefore cannot be held accountable.
Attorney Shira Nir, who is representing the teenager, said that despite his high IQ, he has the emotional intelligence “of a five-year-old child” and shows signs of autism.

“This is like a game for him,” said Nir. “He doesn’t understand the dangers. He doesn’t understand what he did.”

Police have not commented on the psychological condition of the accused.